Friday, April 23, 2010

Fried Rice


2 c. white rice + 4 c. water (OR 4 c. cold, leftover rice)
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. minced red onion
2 Tbsp. chopped green onions
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped mushrooms
8 oz. (1/2 bag) of coleslaw mix
3-4 generous Tbsp. soy sauce

SEASONING:
1 Tbsp. dried onion
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 ½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. celery salt
1 ½ tsp. sugar

Heat butter over medium heat and saute onions, carrots, mushrooms, and cabbage until carrots are tender. Add cooked rice, soy sauce, and seasoning to taste (you won't even come close to using all of it; save the rest for future fried rice or use as you would seasoning salt.)

Optional add-ins: chicken, ham, shrimp, egg, peas, etc.

I got this recipe from Our Best Bites. I usually just throw whatever in my fried rice and it's always good. Following a recipe was a nice change and I thought the seasoning made it better than my usual fare.

1 comment:

Becca Jane said...

Yum.

Yes, eggs and peas are must-haves in our fried rice. You should post a picture, because I cant picture the coleslaw in fried rice.