Monday, April 2, 2012

Porcupine Meatballs

  • 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2-8 ounce cans tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  1. In a bowl combine rice, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ground beef.
  2. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs and drain off any fat. (If you use really lean beef than you may need to add some oil to the pan.)
  3. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and pour over meatballs. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meatballs are done.

***
YUM!  These were awesome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love porcupine meatballs! I don't know exactly this compares to my recipe, but I increased the amount of rice in order to stretch it. I make a double batch of these, cook one, and freeze the other. Freeze the formed meatballs on a cookie sheet covered with waxed or parchment paper. Then drop the frozen meatballs into a freezer bag and label it. I put the sauce in a freezer bag and drop the bag of sauce in with the frozen meatballs. I've never browned them before cooking so when I'm ready to cook the frozen meatballs I simply drop them into the crock pot, defrost the sauce and pour it over. Easy dinner!