Drain thoroughly by slicing into strips and placing on paper towels. Put paper towels on top and set a cookie sheet on top. Let sit for 15 minutes. Change paper towels and repeat. Cube when drained.
2 TB soy sauce
1 TB rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
Combine in a small bowl with the tofu. Let marinade for 5-10 minutes, while you prepare veggies. (Can also be covered and refridgerated for a few hours).
1-2 onions, sliced into wedges
1-2 carrots sliced
1-2 c sliced mushrooms
1 red pepper, diced
Handful of snowpeas and/or asparagus, washed
Several handfuls of fresh spinach
Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute tofu (save marinade) over med-high heat until golden brown. Set aside. Saute onions and carrots until softened. Add other veggies, except for spinach. Saute until just softened. Add marinade, tofu, spinach and saute just until spinach is heated through. Add s&p. Serve over brown rice and eat with chopsticks, if you dare! Tastes great with melted swiss or provolone cheese on top. Can also season to taste with ginger.
If you're not a tofu fan, TRY THIS! Cube the tofu really small so it blends in more. Then if you still don't like it, you can probably substitute chicken in this recipe. Experiment, lots of possibilities with this healthy dish!!
PS...Not the most kid-friendly meal....BUT you might be surprised at what they'll eat!! Cam will eat everything but the red peppers and spinach. Both my kids love tofu!


2 comments:
So Nate came home from work and gobbled this up and said it tasted better than ever (made my evening!). I tried to figure out what I did differently tonight than usual....I think on a whim, I dumped in some extra splashes of sesame oil (my favorite!) at the end with the spinach.
I just tried this recipe tonight. Everyone liked it. I did use chicken instead of tofu {maybe next time I'll be brave and try it} and we used some different veggies. I liked using the spinach...I never would have thought of that! Very yummy!
Post a Comment